MINUTES OF THE ASHFIELD ACCESS COMMITTEE OF ASHFIELD COUNCIL, HELD ON LEVEL 6, CIVIC CENTRE, 260 LIVERPOOL ROAD, ASHFIELD ON MONDAY 14 JULY 2014, COMMENCING AT 12 NOON.
PRESENT Councillor Stott (Chair), Ms Gisele Mesnage, Iris Loudon, Peter Horner.
Ray McMaster, (A/Director, Works & Infrastructure Services), Davide Torrensan (Works & Infrastructure Services) and (Ms Jane Pollard (Team Leader, Community Programs)
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF LOCAL ABORIGINAL COMMUNITY
"Let us acknowledge that we are meeting on country for which the members and elders of the local Aboriginal community have been custodians for many centuries, and on which Aboriginal people have performed age old ceremonies. We acknowledge their living culture and unique role in the life of this region."
Ms Patricia Singleton, Ms Rosemary Musson and Mr Clifford Musson.
DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST
No disclosures were made.
CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES
Moved and Seconded Loudon/Horner
That the minutes of the Ashfield Access Committee Meeting held on 12 May 2014 be confirmed.
UPDATE ON ALLOCATION OF ADDITIONAL SEATING
Council staff reported that six seats in heritage style as requested by the committee have been ordered. Council is currently assessing recommended sites for suitability. The committee is happy for Council staff to proceed with making the final decision in relation to installation sites.
STAGE TWO INCLUSIVE PLAYGROUND, Ashfield Park – Update from Works & Infrastructure
Council staff provided the following update on this project:
· Site survey has been completed
· Fiona Robbe has been engaged to develop plans based on her communication dated 30 May 2014
· Fiona Robbe has recommended that Council uses the term ‘Inclusive Playground’ as opposed to ‘Accessible’. The committee are happy to support the use of this terminology
That Council engage Fiona Robbe to develop plans for both short and long term goals as detailed in her communication dated 30 May 2014, with the addition of an accessible pathway leading from the newly located accessible car park spot to the inclusive playground facilities in Ashfield Park.
The Committee have requested that Fiona Robbe attends the next committee meeting, Monday 11 August, 2014 to talk to her plans.
PRESENTATION BY NSW FAMILY & COMMUNITY SERVICES AND ST VINCENT DE PAUL – UPDATE ON ‘ABILITY LINKS NSW’ PROGRAM
Joan Feeney, Senior Project Officer Ability Links NSW and representatives from St Vincent De Paul provided an overview of this new program which is a NSW Government initiative that aims to link people with a disability aged 9 – 64yrs who aren’t already accessing a service with relevant programs in the local area. Council staff from Library Services and Community Programs attended this part of the meeting to learn how to refer people to this program. Joan explained that there is also a program for birth – 8yrs called ‘Early Linkers’.
Deferred to next meeting
2014/2015 COMMITTEE PRIORTIES
Council staff facilitated a brainstorm session to identify the committee’s priorities for 2014/15. The following results were recorded:
Access Committee Focus
· Review DCP – universal housing
· Public Education role e.g. promote the value of accessible renovations in private homes
· Pedestrian Access Mobility Plan (PAMP) – needs reviewing across the whole Ashfield Local Government Area as currently there is only one in place for Ashfield town centre developed by Access Australia. Need expert and consumer advice. There are grants available.
· Develop a Disability Action Plan (DAP)
· Changing places project. United Kingdom (UK) campaign to support the installation of toilet facilities to accommodate adult change spaces. To date the UK campaign has received 22 000 signatures.
· Advocate for Adult keep fit equipment in local parks
· Volunteers in the community to assist with shopping, social support etc for people with a disability.
· Produce an Access Committee brochure.
· The Committee would like to receive all relevant background papers that support issues being discussed that require a decision to be made prior to committee meetings to allow for reading time
· 2 hour format is good
· Work on projects Vs reporting physical access issue across the LGA
· Increase membership to represent a broader diversity of issues, and ask any interested members of the Seniors Action Committee members to join.
1. Disability Parking Sign
It was noted that the Disability parking signage outside 201 Elizabeth Street Croydon opposite the aquatic centre has not yet been installed.
2. Pram Ramps
The committee reported that there are no pram ramps in the following areas:
· Corner of Smith and Henson Streets Summer Hill
· Roundabout at the intersection of Smith street and Carlton Crescent in summer Hill.
· Bland Street crossing Julia Street.
3. Footpath Dining Policy
Committee noted an awareness of Vision Australia Correspondence in relation to footpath dining policy
1/2 Council to send a letter acknowledging receipt of communication from Vision Australia in relation to footpath dining.
2/2 Council to write a letter to Graeme Innes, ex Australian Disability Discrimination Commissioner acknowledging his work and commitment to disability rights.
4. Disability Standards for Accessible Transport
Council staff presented a copy of Council’s comments submitted to the Draft Review of Disability Standards for Accessible Transport to the committee.
5. Council staff presented the following points of interest:
· Nomination opens for a 2014 Don’t DIS my ABILITY ambassador – closing 20 July 2014
· LGNSW - Disability Inclusion and Liveable Communities Forum, Friday 12 September 2014. http://www.lgnsw.org.au/events-training/disability-inclusion-and-liveable-communities-forum
· Universal Design Conference, 20 – 21 August 2013 hosted by COTA and sponsored by City of Sydney –
Information about the above two opportunities have been forwarded to Works & Infrastructure staff
Council staff to send information about the above opportunities to Access committee members
6. Committee member meeting apologies
Giselle Mesnage and Iris Loudon will not be able to attend the next two Access Committee meetings for August and September 2014.
SUMMARY OF ACTIONS
1/4 The Committee have requested that Fiona Robbe attends the next committee meeting, Monday 11 August, 2014 to talk to her plans in relation to the Inclusive playground in Ashfield Playground.
2/4 Council to send a letter acknowledging receipt of communication from Vision Australia in relation to footpath dining.
3/4 Council to write a letter to Graeme Innes, ex Australian Disability Discrimination Commissioner acknowledging his work and commitment to disability rights.
4/4 Council staff to send information about the LGNSW - Disability Inclusion and Liveable Communities Forum, Friday 12 September 2014 and the Universal Design Conference, 20 – 21 August 2013 to Access committee members.
PROCEEDINGS TERMINATED AT 2.25pm
Chairperson of the meeting of Ashfield Access Committee
when the Minutes were confirmed