DRAFT MINUTES OF THE ASHFIELD SENIORS ACTION COMMITTEE OF ASHFIELD COUNCIL, HELD ON LEVEL 6, CIVIC CENTRE, 260 LIVERPOOL ROAD, ASHFIELD ON TUESDAY 12 MARCH 2013, COMMENCING AT 10:00 AM.
PRESENT His Worship the Mayor, Councillor Mansour in the Chair
Dominic (Tony) Fiatarone - Ashfield Probus
Nola Makowiak - Seniors Social Group
Rowley Coghlan - Community Representative
Maria Guarrera - Liberi
Stella Golab - Polish Seniors Group
Jozeb Oktalowicz - Polish Seniors Group
George Kang - Community Representative
Tony Smith - National Seniors
Joy Liu - Community Representative
Luigi Vella - Community Representative
Cathy Gao (Minute Taker, Ashfield Council)
Soheyla Gholamshahi (Community Programs Team Leader, Ashfield Council)
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF LOCAL ABORIGINAL COMMUNITY
"Let us acknowledge that we are meeting on country for which the members and elders of the local Aboriginal community have been custodians for many centuries, and on which Aboriginal people have performed age old ceremonies. We acknowledge their living culture and unique role in the life of this region."
DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST
No disclosures were made.
CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES
The minutes of the Seniors’ Action Committee Meeting held on 12 June 2012 were confirmed.
1. With regard to Clause 7 – Communication, as most seniors don’t have computers, it was suggested that the members be posted hard copy of agendas and minutes.
2. In regard to Clause 3.1 Members (voting) it was suggested that
3.1 Members (voting)
· First dot point to be changed to:
o no less than three (3) Councillors;
· Third dot point to be changed to:
o no less than three (3) and no more than twelve (12) Community representatives.
· Last dot point to be added as:
o The quorum for the committee meeting is three (3).
In regard to Clause 3.4 Term of Membership it was suggested that the first dot point be changed to:
· Nominees must live, study and work or volunteer in the Ashfield Council local government area.
- Council to post the “Ageing and Disability Directory” to all members.
- Condition of footpath at Hercules St is poor. Reported incident of seniors falling down. Request for immediate repair.
- Lighting at Hercules St is poor, concerns about community safety.
- Street work at Dalhousie St is not well planned. The street has been digged constantly for various reasons. Suggested to write letter to relevant departments.
- Outdoor dining is an issue affecting people with wheelchairs. An outdoor dining policy should be developed and enforced.
- Table Tennis Group requests extra fans at Haberfield Centre to improve current room condition for seniors groups, especially during summer hot days.
- Pumping system for rain water doesn’t work well at 22 Chandos St, other streets have similar problems. Suggested Councillors to walk along the area and find out the problem.
- Requested access to information on local podiatry services.
- Recommend to introduce a drinking bottle and newspaper recycle reward program, so people can have some “pocket” money for placing recycled newspapers and bottles to right place.
PROCEEDINGS TERMINATED AT 11.20AM
Chairperson of the meeting of Ashfield Seniors Action Committee
when the Minutes were confirmed