MIN NO

DRAFT MINUTES OF THE ASHFIELD ACCESS COMMITTEE OF ASHFIELD COUNCIL, HELD ON LEVEL 6, CIVIC CENTRE, 260 LIVERPOOL ROAD, ASHFIELD ON MONDAY 11 MARCH 2013, COMMENCING AT 12 NOON.

 

 

PRESENT         His Worship the Mayor, Councillor Mansour in the Chair, Councillor Lofts, Tessa Origlia, Reginald Holdsworth, Patricia Singleton and Soheyla Gholamshahi.

 

 

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF LOCAL ABORIGINAL COMMUNITY

 

"Let us acknowledge that we are meeting on country for which the members and elders of the local Aboriginal community have been custodians for many centuries, and on which Aboriginal people have performed age old ceremonies. We acknowledge their living culture and unique role in the life of this region."

 

 

APOLOGIES    

 

Apologies for non attendance were received and accepted from Councillor Stott and Iris Loudon.

 

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

 

No disclosures were made.

 

 

CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES

 

 

The minutes of the Access Committee Meeting held on 12 November 2012 were confirmed.

 

 

      

Staff Reports

 

 

Draft Terms of Reference. Soheyla Gholamshahi - Team Leader - Community Programs.

                                                                                                 AAC 6.1 Attached

 

 

RESOLVED                Lofts/Origlia

 

That the Draft Terms of Reference be submitted to Council for adoption with the following amendments:

 

Discussion and agreed amendments

 

·         1.1 - The role of the Ashfield Access Committee (the Committee) is to advise Council on issues of access to facilities and services within the Ashfield LGA for people with a disability.

 

That the third dot point of 2.1 be deleted and added as the last dot point to the 1.1 as:

  •  Provide leadership and advocacy to encourage community awareness and support for people with disability

 

That the first line of Community Representatives changes to:

People with disability, carers, service providers or other interested local residents, as well as those who study and work in Ashfield, are eligible to apply to join the Committee.

 

That the first sentence of section 3.3 Public Participation – Attendees and invitees (non-voting) changes to:

 A person who is not a member of the Committee (including a Councillor) is entitled to attend the Committee meeting but may not vote.

 

That the last sentence of  section 3.3 Public Participation – Attendees and invitees (non-voting) changes to:

Presentations that have been arranged and approved shall be limited to a maximum three (3) minutes unless authorised by the Chair.

 

That additional dot point (Residents with pram) to be added to the list of dot points at the  section 3.4 Terms of Membership:

 

That the first sentence of section 6  Meeting changes to:

The Committee will meet monthly except December. Extraordinary meetings may be called if necessary.

 

 

  

Note: The Mayor left the meeting at 12.30pm whereupon Councillor Lofts took the Chair.

 

 

General Business

 

The following issues of concerns were raised by the participants:

·         All flower boxes and outdoor furniture will be moved to the outer edge of the footpath.

·         In the whole of the municipality, elderly people with a disability need more seats, to sit and rest, along main footpaths while shopping.

·         There is a need for a pram ramp near St Andrew’s Church. Council to contact Iris to confirm the location of the pram ramp.

·         The footpaths are narrowed by outdoor furniture and tables.

·         The footpaths in Summer Hill need to be inspected for trip hazards.

·         Summer Hill station ramp on the kerb, southern side, needs grinding to provide better wheelchair access

·          The pavement at Oaklands Avenue is a trip hazard and needs repair.

The chair:

 

A resolution has been passed by Council to revise our audit of footpaths throughout the LGA. The audit grades all  footpaths according to condition and urgency of repair.

 

Mr Reginald informed the Committee that along the Southern side of Elizabeth street approaching  the Pool, many ramps have been improved.

 

The Committee discussed the recruitment of new members

 

Council to check records of those present at the meeting on the 11 March and ensure they are reflected in the minutes.

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS:

 

  1. Invitation of someone from the Planning/ Engineering Department to the next meeting
  2.  Having a representative from those departments at the committee on regular bases. 

 

 

PROCEEDINGS TERMINATED AT 2pm

 

 

Chairperson of the meeting of Ashfield Access Committee

when the Minutes were confirmed

 

 

 

 

Chairperson

 

 

 

 

 

Date