3 July 2012
You are invited to attend an ASHFIELD ACCESS COMMITTEE of Ashfield Council, to be held on Level 6, Civic Centre, 260 Liverpool Road, Ashfield on MONDAY 9 JULY 2012 at 12 NOON.
SEE ATTACHED AGENDA
Ashfield Access Committee - 9 July 2012
2. Acknowledgement of Local Indigenous Community
3. Apologies/Request for Leave of Absence
4. Disclosures Of Interest
Disclosures to be made by any Committee members who have a pecuniary / non-pecuniary interest in respect of matters that are before the Committee at this meeting.
5. Confirmation of Minutes of Committee
Ashfield Access Committee - 18/06/2012
6.1 Update on matters of relevance to the Access Committee
7. General Business
Subject UPDATE ON MATTERS OF RELEVANCE TO THE ACCESS COMMITTEE
File Ref Community - Disability
Prepared by Gerard Howard - Manager Community Services
Reasons To provide advice on access matters of relevance to the Committee.
Objective To seek feedback and advice from the Committee
Draft Local Environmental Plan (LEP)
Council is updating its existing Local Environmental Plan(LEP) and will be seeking feedback from residents up until 21st August, 2012. The LEP guides how Ashfield will develop into the future. Amongst other things it specifies land use zoning and the maximum height and floor space of buildings. A series of public information sessions about the LEP are listed on Council’s website.
One of the relevant recommendations in Council’s Social Plan 2010 states: “Ensure that ‘Universal Accessible Design Requirements’ are incorporated into the new Ashfield Local Environmental Plan (LEP).” The Access Committee may wish to discuss and identify other matters or areas of feedback that could be contributed regarding the new draft LEP. Members of the Committee may also wish to attend one of the public information sessions.
Accessible Playground and Pathways.
It is anticipated that construction work for the new playground in Ashfield Park will begin in early August. Residents in surrounding streets will be notified of the works to be completed. At Robson Park, the accessible pathways project has finished and the Access Committee may wish to visit the site at an arranged future date. Design proposals for a potential sensory garden path/maze and story-telling area have been drafted and will be put forward for information to the Committee.
Local Access Improvements
· A new seat is being installed at Cadigal Reserve.
· Pricing on a fence is being investigated for the proposed off leash dog area at Bede Spillane Reserve.
· Water for therapy dogs - the cost of specialised bubblers for park users and dog users is estimated at $1,000 and over. The availability of water for dogs is being investigated for the Bede Spillane Reserve.
· A successful Pedestrian Safety workshop was held at the Civic Centre on 26th June, with approximately 25 people attending. The next seminar will be held on the 10th July & will be on the topics of Diabetes & Falls Prevention.
· Comments from the Committee at the last meeting in relation to the draft Charitable Street Collections and Street Stall Policy had been contributed to the consultation process. Initial feedback is that consistency with Council’s Outdoor Dining and Footpath Trading Policy can be achieved. Also, restrictions would not affect the fountain area around Summer Hill shops or the Civic Centre forecourt space. Some adjustments to the draft policy have therefore been made as a result of the Access Committees feedback.
NSW Carers Awards 2012
The Carers Awards are currently open for nominations and will be received up until the 13th July. Information indicates that one in 10 people in NSW dedicate their time to caring for someone with a disability, mental illness, medical condition, dementia or who is frail and aged. Further information on the Awards is contained in Attachments to this report.
No financial implications beyond existing budget allocations.
Other Staff Comments
Consultation is via the Access Committee.
It is important that the Committee provide advice and feedback on the various initiatives listed in the report, so that the best outcomes for the general community can be achieved.
There are no supporting documents for this report.
That the information contained in the report be noted.